Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sick days

For the past couple days, I've been valiantly fighting against a really nasty cold. And by "valiantly fighting," I mean sleeping. And drinking plenty of lemon juice and honey. Lemon juice to kill the stuff that's hurting my throat, and honey to make swallowing not painful; what's not to love?

In my ditzy sick mind, the honey makes a "bloop" noise when it goes in the lemon juice.

Now there's no more honey.

But that got me thinking (what else am I going to do when just getting up is exhausting?) about keeping bees. I really like bees. The fact that commercial bees, the kind that are shipped around the country to pollenate fields, are being fed nothing but sugar water on the trip is just sad! It's like feeding a baby Mountain Dew and expecting it to turn out healthy.

If I were to get a house in a neighborhood, I'd love to be able to keep bees. They'd be able to pollenate nearby plants, and produce honey. Now, honey isn't just helpful for sweetening things. Apparently, taking a tablespoon of local honey a day before allergy season can help reduce allergies! No, it's not proven, but I'd be willing to give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment